Geek Nymph
     The ramblings of a self-confessed geek (and proud of it!)

Monday, November 14, 2005

My resurrected webcam

I decided to resurrect my old webcam, SiPix Blink II. I bought it around 3 years ago when I was in the US. It cost around $50, if I remember it right. I planned to use it with Yahoo Messenger's webcam feature so I could send my Ozzie some kisses (Unfortunately, their network had firewall, so no Yahoo webcam for us. :( ). When I came back, I used the webcam rarely since the UP network also had a firewall. I just used the webcam to take some random pictures of friends. :)

The selling point of this camera is that it is so small and cute. Measuring at about 0.5x2x2 inches, it's pretty small for a webcam. Another selling point for me was that it could be detached so that you could take pictures without a computer (Camera phones were still waaaay too expensive back then). The camera is powered by an AAA battery and the internal memory is about 8megs. Pictures can be transferred via the USB attachment, of course. Back then, this was little gadget was pretty amazing.


The resolution for images could be either 640 x 480 or 320 x 240 pixels. For video, resolution could be either 320 x 240 (up to an 80-second length) or 160 x 120 (up to a 160-second length).

Picture quality? Well... not that good. I took pictures of Wuzzie when I was at the airport. Will post them later here. They're viewable, but don't expect too much.

This device isn't exactly a "real" digital camera. The pictures taken from this camera are useless as prints, but they're good enough for silly spontanoeus pics, mementos, email pics and even blogger pics, I guess. As with the old camera phones, pictures taken without much light look crappy. No flash, no focus, no nightmode, no nothing, it's just a nifty little webcam you can play with. For me, it's enough for a webcam.

If I want to take quality pictures/prints, then I'd better go buy that Canon Ixus I've been wanting to get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home