Geek Nymph
     The ramblings of a self-confessed geek (and proud of it!)

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Everybody makes a boo-boo once in a while.

I borrowed my roommate's PC when I woke up today. I had episodes of Nip Tuck, House, Desperate Housewives, Numb3rs, Myth Busters and other favorite shows stored on my roomie's PC. Since Delta (the PC) was running low on disk space, I deleted some of the files I knew I backed up on Cozy (my laptop). Since I was still quite groggy, I accidentally deleted the whole folder of Myth Busters which I just finished downloading! I always do Shift+Delete when I delete files. This means the file immediately gets deleted instead of going through the recycle bin. Gosh. I was sulking the entire day.

Good thing it was on Windows. As we all know, Windows uses the File Allocation Table (FAT) to keep track of it's files. When a file is sent to the recycle bin, the file is not really (physically) deleted or moved, it's just marked as hidden so that the file management tools do not consider them as files in that particular folder. When a file is deleted (removed from recycle bin or shift+deleted) the entry of that file is deleted from the FAT, but the file is still physically there. It's just that the physical address of the file is not protected anymore, so any time a file gets written, it may or may not overwrite the deleted file.

Good thing Delta is partitioned!

Would have been a problem if not, since I was downloading other stuff. These were downloaded into a different partition. Hard disks w/ partitions are marked off to differentiate one partition from another. So if a file was deleted from a different partition than the Windows directory and other partitions that you are writing into, the deleted files are still safe.

I'm currently restoring all the episodes, I managed to retreive 22 out of 23 files. I accidentally wrote a file into the partition that's why 1 file is unrecoverable. Err... just make sure the files that you recover are copied to a different partition, otherwise the 'deleted' files will get overwritten, causing other files (including the file you're restoring) to be unrecoverable.

Oh well... at least it's better than wasting bandwidth trying to download the whole thing again. At least I only have 1 file missing and an hour or two wasted trying to retreive the files. That's good enough for me. :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home