Geek Nymph
     The ramblings of a self-confessed geek (and proud of it!)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

What's really behind a MacWorld Keynote Address?

What's really behind a MacWorld Keynote Address?

Ozzie, Joe-e and I stayed up late (early, rather. 1am to 3:30am), waiting for the big announcement at MacWorld.

I was refreshing like crazy at Engadget and MacRumors as the sites were being updated almost real time. I know, I know. I should have refrained from pressing that friggin' F5 key. I just can't help it....

Joe-e fell asleep as soon as the keynote started. Funny. Ozzie and I were discussing stuff all the while we were waiting for that "and one more thing..." moment.


And the rumors are true! Apple released an Intel-based dual core PowerBook. Only now it isn't called a PowerBook anymore. They changed it to a more declasse product name, somewhere in the line of "Joybook". Let's just thank goodness it's not as jologs as Jolex. Introducing the new Intel-based, dual core PowerBook, the MacBook Pro. Quoting Jobs:

It's a new name because we're kinda done with power, and we want the name the Mac name in our products. The same dual-processor as the iMac in every model. This is hard to believe: 4-5x faster than the PowerBook G5. These things are screamers.

The MacBook Pros will ship on February. Below are the noteworthy specifications:

15.4" 1.67 GHz Intel Core Duo
$1,999.00
* 15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

* 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
* 667MHz frontside bus
* 512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
* 80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
* Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

15.4" 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
$2,499.00
* 15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
* 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
* 667MHz frontside bus
* 1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
* 100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
* Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory


See the complete specs. Pretty, isn't it?
See the streaming video here.

Gosh. I can't afford it. I already have a laptop. I love my laptop! It's just those persistent zombie pixels (they're undead) are annoying.

*edited:
Deleted a comment that might have hurt or offended. I'm so sorry. ='(
Previously "The PowerBook is dead", spin-off of an article I read (something like The PowerBook is dead, Long live the MacBook Pro). The previous title didn't come out right.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home